We are proud to host Red Wing Roots Music Festival as a family-friendly experience. Rest assured, kids AND parents are going to have a great time! From Shady Grove to The Kinfolk Stage to Red Wing Academy and more, we have activities and engagement for all ages.
Thanks to sponsorship from Venture Builders, we are happy to have an area of the festival dedicated to children’s activities near The Roots Stage. There is a lot going on each year, so be sure to check it out. Some of the activities have included:
- Climbing Wall
- A toddler/parent zone run by the fine folks at Our Little Planets
- An all ages pick n’ jam tent with Red Wing Academy
- KINGDOMS Lawn Games showing us how to play this competitive family-friendly game that combines elements of fantasy with a new variant of bowling
- Slack-Librium’s slack line set up
- Tie-dye Workshops on Saturday and Sunday (plus a festival t-shirt for the first 50 participants each day!)
- The Mist Pavilion – a great place to cool off!
- Collaborative painting mural
- Yard Games
It is one part of the festival you don’t want to miss. And it is all free with your wristband!
New this year: North Mountain Gymnastics is hosting two free gymnastics classes, for kids ages 4+, at The Kinfolk Stage on Saturday, June 24th! Each class will last 45 minutes and cover basic tumbling. Spots are limited! Register your child using one of the links below.
10am Gymnastics class: https://www.
The Kinfolk Stage
The Kinfolk Stage is fun for all ages! Located next to the children’s playground, The Kinfolk Stage hosts family-friendly performances throughout the day. Annual favorites have included the Red Wing Academy performance with The Steel Wheels, multiple artist sets, Appalachian storytelling and dancing for all ages.
Check out the Red Wing X schedule for The Kinfolk Stage event schedule.
Red Wing Academy
Red Wing Academy is hosted by Eric Brubaker of The Steel Wheels as a four-day intensive camp ahead of the music festival. Red Wing Academy is open to non-beginner violin, viola, cello, bass, guitar, mandolin and banjo students. Is this something your strings-player might enjoy? Learn more HERE.
Each year, The Steel Wheels and academy students perform together at The Kinfolk Stage on Friday of festival. It is a packed event that celebrates the hard work of the students and always brings many smiles and tears from parents and fans alike. It is a special part of the festival, just make sure you arrive early if you hope to sit inside the tent!
Catch the Red Wing Academy performances with The Steel Wheels on Friday, June 23rd at 12pm (Blue Ridge Timberwrights Stage) and 4pm (The Kinfolk Stage).
Additional Red Wing features that may catch your family’s attention:
- Face painting and Henna can be found in the Healing Arts area.
- Red Wing is bicycle friendly.
- When there is water in the river, it is a great place to wade, float or swim.
- Natural Chimneys Park pool is open to festival-goers throughout the weekend. Pool passes must be purchased that the Front Gate at $4/day or $10/weekend.
Parents, these are TWO IMPORTANT RULES we want all kids of all ages to know:
- No Climbing on the Chimneys! Please stay on designated trail if you would like to hike up to the top.
- If riding bike around the festival, you are sharing the road with people and vehicles. Be sure to pay attention to those around you and if you are riding after dark, please use a bike light.